About the Book
Written by Michael Olpin, Unwind!: 7 Principles for a Stress-Free Life, is 192 pages and was published on August 5, 2014 by Grand Harbor Press.
The book starts with Michael explaining how stress is actually very powerful survival mechanism created to give you boost in times of dire trouble. For example running away from a deadly snake – stress causes your body to release hormones to reduce pain and allow you run faster. Stress becomes destructive once it has gone on for too long – hence the book is about seven ways one can reduce and manage prolonged stress.
Michael actually based his seven principles to live a stress free life from Steven Corvey’s Seven Principles of Highly effective people. I reviewed this book on a previous post following the link for the article:
Those seven principles are:
- Be proactive not reactive – seek to mindful of your situation and seek actions to resolve the issue instead of just reacting to stress.
- Be inspired rather then unmotivated – having an inspiration or goal actually helps you work harder and be less stressed.
- Have priorities – focus on important things that you have power over, hence priorities.
- Move from hassles to harmony – always look for ways to add value to others, hence creating harmony
- Have empathy – seek understanding of others and situations, this allows you to reduce tensions easier and be more proactive.
- Move from defensive to diverse – this principle is to welcome differences and change
- Move from tense to tranquil – learn to stop stress, although stress is a powerful tool, overuse will be draining and detrimental.
Key takeaways and commentary.
My takeaways from this book are:
- stress is a powerful survival tool that shouldn’t not be used for prolonged periods of time
- focus on solutions to stressful issues rather then the stress itself
- focus on what you can control
- seek to understand not only others but situations as well – this allows you to have a better chance at coming up with resolutions to otherwise very tense and stressful situations.
- Use inspiration as fuel
I honestly really like this book! Stress is something that I always dealt with and now that I look back, I honestly didn’t have as much to do as I do now – and apparently I was more stressed out then. I do believe that it has to do with Michael’s second principle – back then I wasn’t working from inspiration as I am now.
In closing this is a great book – quick and manageable read – so check it out when you have the time.
What do you think? Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments and if you found this post useful or enjoyable, please share and leave a like. Thank you! Stay tuned for tomorrows book Unlimited Memory: How to Use Advanced Learning Strategies to Learn Faster, Remember More and be More Productive
For more information on the 2018 challenge, visit the following link: Business Trek 2018 reading challenge.
You can also get the book via the following link: Unwind!: 7 Principles for a Stress-Free Life
Photo by energepic.com from Pexels https://www.pexels.com/photo/design-desk-display-eyewear-313690/